Thursday, October 29, 2009

okay, this may be a little controversial.


I really, really enjoy that we have a gorgeous first lady that wears more than just an Oscar de la Renta suit from the 90s or has no real fashion sense. Really, I do. I think Michelle Obama is wonderful, and definitely has a great sense of style.

But why are her daily fashion choices big fashion news?

Literally, every single day, I see a post that goes something like... "Omg, Michelle Obama wore J. Crew yesterday!" or "Michelle seen popping her collar at blah blah blah event."

I just don't understand why this is such a big deal. When she picked that gorgeous white Jason Wu dress for the Inaugural Ball, that was news. Mostly because all of the fashion elite was competing for her choice of design and the chance for her to wear it at one of the biggest events in our country when celebrating a newly elected President. But before that I swear I read hundreds of posts about every stinking detail leading up to the big reveal.

Dare I ask again, why?

She graced the cover of Vogue last March, and now the upcoming Glamour issue. She looks to die for, but I hope we can stick to that as the coverage of her fashion sense rather than a daily tidbit that really does not matter in the slightest. I know she's great, but I don't care what she wore to the Bronx yesterday or to the World Series Game. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. i can agree with every inch of this. i LOVE lady obama :) but i have wondered similar things in the past myself. but then again - i've wondered the same thing about a lot of celebrities... but i suppose the world cares about what influential people wear, because we secretly think if we can mirror it just right, we might have some impact? i maybe just dug a little too deep on that one.... i give.

    ReplyDelete