Tuesday, October 27, 2009

the coolest thing ever, but maybe a little crazy.

I am still delaying on my Alexander McQueen post. I think I'm going to break it up.

For now, I will discuss what everyone else is discussing: the twelve inch deathtrap heels that the models miraculously managed to wiggle down the runway in for his Spring 2010 Ready to Wear show.

Functionality completely aside, they are one of the weirdest/coolest, most innovative designs anyone has ever created...in my opinion of course.

Apparently, as evidence by the video footage and simply by looking at them, they are completely impossible to walk in. They arrived at the Vogue UK offices and no one could really make it more than a few steps.

I think my ankle my break the second I attempted to jam one onto my foot. And even if I got that far, I'm sure I couldn't walk a step. But I sure as hell would try. I swear if I ever see one of these shoes live in a store, I'd faint [or at least scream] on the spot.

I'm not sure why they are so inspiring. Probably because the truly break the barriers of fashion and bring it a step beyond what everyone else did. McQueen is known for his wacko design, but I feel these accessories were more than just a weird fad he created. They are art.

I literally sat, nearly asphyxiated, from sheer admiration of both the design and the girls somehow keeping one foot in front of the other without face planting.

These shoes are another example of why I love fashion so much. It is not only entertaining, but when something like these happen, it makes you question what limits clothes and accessories can have...or if one even exists in the first place.

I'd have to say my favorite ones are the shoes in the first picture of this post. They literally are dead on the same print as the dress he paired them with, and I think they are genuinely gorgeous. I feel like I should be admiring them from behind a glass case in some museum somewhere.

What also really impressed me was how each show clearly had the same design, but each made such a different statement. Some were made of python, others to resemble fish scales, and other to resemble delicate butterfly wings. I just don't understand how anyone could make so many different ideas flow to create distinctly different shoes. I really can't say enough about these, again, functionality completely out the window.

So thanks, Alexander. You get more and more brilliant everyday.

Images via style.com, nymag.com, and vogueuk.com

1 comment:

  1. i've gotta say - i could see tiff torturing herself with these - just to gain a few inches on her tall roomies. and maddie, please don't try these shoes at home - you know how your ankles are ;)

    ReplyDelete