Monday, October 26, 2009

my main man: Stefano Pilati


I'm not sure what draws me to this man so hard...perhaps his rugged good looks. Or his chain smoking. Or his absolutely fantastic clothes.

I even named my computer after him.

Stefano Pilati is the creative director for Yves Saint Laurent, and has captured the title of my main man for this week, or for life.

The simplicity of both his character and his design make him stand out, proving that something does not necessarily need to be intricate or extravagant to be glamorous.

He has been with YSL, one of the most legendary labels in the entire fashion industry, since 2004 carrying on Yves' legacy. Tom Ford, one of my other leading men, attempted to take on the job but ended up quitting just before Pilati stepped in.

He has ruled the label ever since. Early in his career, he got flack from the critics about being too romantic or too ahead of the times, only to turn around and have his looks be everywhere and be worn by everyone. He always has a fresh look that sticks to the simplicity of the YSL label. Even with some designers that I worship, their shows can be off for me sometimes or I don't see the fluidity of their collections. I can honestly say I have never felt that about Pilati's work. Not even his uni-sex collection. In fact, I'd pretty much wear anything this man sketched out and brought to life. As long as he doesn't mind a couple extra dress sizes from what he is used to. Ugh.

Anyways. Some random facts. The man has been working in fashion since the age of 17. He knows his stuff. He has worked for Prada and consequently, Miu Miu. He has been to rehab twice for heroin addiction. He is a straight man turned gay. He speaks Italian, French, and English. He is full of surprises and a complete and utter genius.

I just want to know more about his life. I mean clearly, because of his involvement in fashion and my addiction to his clothes and bags [I am totally begging for the Muse bag for Christmas this year, as I've been obsessed with it pretty much my entire life], but also because I feel like he would have very fantastic stories to tell me over drinks some evening. Maybe one day, I can make that happen.

Until then, read this fabulous piece the New York Times did on him last year, entitled "The Tastemaker" if you'd like to know more about my main man.

No comments:

Post a Comment