Tuesday, September 22, 2009

so, size 12 is unacceptable?

Obviously, this story is a little closer to my heart.

In a world that completely revolves around the superficial, it comes as no surprise that when someone tries to go against the stereotypical, size 2-perfect body-completely flawless, something dramatic must ensue.

This week at London Fashion Week, designer Mark Fast did just that.

In his Spring 2010 ready to wear show, he cast three models ranging from size 12 to 14 to walk down his runway in the new designs. But some people, apparently including some audience members and people working on Fast's team, were not so comfortable with the idea of--gasp--a non-size two girl taking part in the show.

According to an article from the BBC in London, Amanda May, Fast's managing director, walked out of the show completely because of the casting, citing that there were "creative differences with regards to the casting of those girls."

Also, according to Fashionista, another stylist backstage was so rude to the girls that she was asked to leave and not come back.

The beautiful model in the picture is Hayley Morley, one of the size 12 models that caused this alleged controversy last Sunday at Mark Fast's show. Personally, I'm a size 12 and I don't look nearly that good.

Now, that being said, I could turn this post into a rant about how superficial and ridiculous it is that a gorgeous girl that looks like that raises such hell. Or how ridiculously scared I am to attempt to enter such a world where extra pounds makes me an undesirable candidate for anything, despite my skills or personality. Or how I have always loved fashion and consider myself fairly knowledgeable on the subject, but could be written off at sheer glance due to the tiny number printed on the inside of my pants label.

But I won't. I will give my sheer amount of adoring praise to Hayley and the girls that had the courage to walk where most girls my size would not walk before. And challenge people to challenge their ideals and principles and superficiality.

Sorry for the serious rant. Yay fashion week. Boo bitchy people.

1 comment:

  1. This post says a lot about your ideals, and it is very well written.
    I agree that this controversy is ridiculous.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete