Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the best of new york fashion week: Alexander Wang

At his show on Pier 94 last Saturday, Alexander Wang took an American classic and spruced it up a bit. And by a bit, I mean tons, per usual.

At Nordstrom where I work on Michigan Avenue, the women's clothing departments are on the 3rd floor. I do my best, usually failing, to stay away from that floor altogether. But I always MUST stay far from Alex Wang at risk of spending my minimal paycheck.

He's very young at 24, but has already had collaborations with Gap and Uniqlo, as well as been recognized by the CFDA. This collection surpassed his previous genius as he unveiled his american football inspired collection.

According to the style.com review, he wanted to created a few timeless, staple pieces that will last girls longer than just the fads of the current season. With Wang, there always seems to be a minute detail that you don't find until the last minute, or a fairly typical item that has never been used that way before. And to think, I'm only 3 years younger.

Some of the looks were a bit off the deep end for me, like shirts with the stomachs cut out. But overall, his aesthetic and uniqueness won me over.

Slideshow of the looks.

Favorite Look:
I'm mostly obsessed with the skirt, and the textures that contrast on the two shirts.



And oh, those braids.

Photo by: Marcio Madeira via style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment